Left to Right: Background is the Tangkruban Perahu Volcano Crater; Tea Time at famous JCO Donuts at Paris Van Java Mall; Group Photo at Ciater Hot Spring.
=> Shopping Trip from 27 Jan to 31 Jan 2008
Bandung Factory Outlets
Bandung has over 40 factory outlets where you get brands from LV, Levis, Dockers, Tommy Hilfinger, Hugo Boss, Giorgio Armani, Emporio Armani, CK, Polo, Crocodile, Banana Republic, Hermes etc, all at 10% or 20% of the original price. Some may be rejects but a lot of them are new. For ladies, it's dresses, clothes, handbags, shoes, textiles etc. For guys, we can get pants, jeans, shirts & jackets etc.
The most popular shopping outlet, Rumah Mode, along Jl Setiabudi, has all kinds of everything!
For Women & Mens’ Clothes:
1) Jl Dago - Blossom, Episode, Island, Uptown Factory, Jetset, Glamour, Happening, Grande
2) Jl Riau - Heritage, Cascade, Secret (New), Stamp, The Summit, ForMen
3) Jl Setiabudi - Mode Plus, Natural, Rumah Gazebo, FOS Clothing
For Handbags & Shoes:
1) Toko Diaz, Jl Sederhana – good quality, slightly more expensive
2) Terminal Tas, Jl Riau – cheap but poor quality
3) Donatello, Jl Setiabudi
For Jeans & T-Shirts: (Optional)
Jl Cihampelas, where you will find gigantic Cartoon characters eg Rambo, Superman, Ultraman, Incredible Hulk, Tarzan etc.
1) Visit Paris Van Java, a very modern Mall and you can also have Lunch or Hi Tea here. They have the famous JCo Donuts.
2) Braga City Walk, adjacent to Aston Hotel (you can walk thru). There is also a supermarket in Braga City Walk & when you walk outside via Braga Walk, you can find shops that have restaurants & also a 7-Eleven.
Bandung Food & Eating Places
Then there are nice Eating Places especially excellent Sundanese Restaurants including Kampung Daun & Sambara.
Located on the hills of Dago Pakar, there is The Valley - nice food, nice view, nice ambience. Also, drop by Sierra Cafe & Lounge.
For Indonesian food
1) Kedai Nyonya Rumah, Jl Naripan
2) DapurKu – local cuisine
3) Blackpepper Resto & Café, Jl Maulana Yusuf No 10, Dago area (Serves Western & Indonesian). Try the blackpepper jeng tutut (snails) & oysters (Tel: 62-22-4206147)
1) Mustika Jaya Sari, Jl Ciumbuliet No 39 (Tel:62-22-203 8539)
Try the Es Sekoteng Bongsu, grated ice cube with avocado, young coconut, and kolang-kaling (local preserved fruit). Also, try the Teh Botol!
Bandung Specialty - Kukus Brownies:
1) Kartika Sari, diagonal to Uptown Factory, Jl Dago – they have 6 stores,famous for Pisang
Molen & Kukus Brownies (Steam Brownies with chocolate inside)
2) Brownies Kukus Amanda, Jl Ranchabolang, Jl Lodaya & Jln Purwakarta
Places to Visit
Besides shopping, one of the most interesting places to visit is Tangkuban Perahu. Tangkuban Perahu in local Sundanese dialect means ‘upturned boat’. According to my guide, you can see the shape of the ‘upturned boat’ from Bandung. Tangkuban Perahu, 30 km away from Bandung, is an active volcano where you can see fumes coming out from the crater. According to the guide, the crater at the peak is not accessible because it’s emitting poisonous fumes. We had to hike down for about 30 minutes to another crater where we are allowed to experiment with the hot water coming out from the volcano by boiling eggs or just dipping your feet in the hot water.Since one can only dip their feet in the craters in Tangkuban Perahu, there are some hot springs around this area.
One of the recommended hot springs is Ciater Hot Spring where you can swim in the sulphurized water which is known to be good for healing skin problems and rheumatism
For meal, try the the local Sundanese cuisine - Sapu Lidi. The food is delicious & the setting is tranquil, in the middle of a padi field.
From historical perspective, Bandung is the birth place for the Non-Align Movement (NAM) in 1957. There is a street in Bandung known as Jalan Asia-Africa which is dedicated to the NAM movement. The street starts from Savoy Homann Hotel to Merdeka Building. This is the street where the leaders who started NAM in 1952 took a historic walk to commemorate the inaugural NAM meeting.
Click this link for Bandung Hotels